DLTJ now Running on WordPress 2.3

Last night DLTJ was upgraded to WordPress 2.3. As far as I can tell, everything is working okay, but please let me know in the comments or the comment form if something doesn’t seem right. There were two tricky parts to the upgrade. (Well, three really, if you count the tasks necessary to extract the reminants of the Ultimate Tag Warrior (UTW) from the theme.) Fortunately, one of them was not the upgrade itself; after abandoning the Gentoo portage ebuild for WordPress, I switched to the Subversion update method. This was the first time I did an ‘svn switch‘ to get the new version, and it worked great.

DLTJ page rendering updated (sorry Bloglines users)

Overnight I made several changes to the layout and rendering of pages on DLTJ — both in its web presentation and in its RSS presentation. The changes were really driven by the fact that my tags were not getting picked up in Technorati because the WordPress UltimateTagWarrior plugin was not including them as expected in the RSS feed (although it was in the web presentation, which was throwing me off). And I’ve heard from some (hi, Karen!) that when I make changes to the RSS rendering that Bloglines makes it look like all of the posts have been updated. This isn’t the case — just the rendering of them has changed. You’d think that Bloglines would read the “>pubdate<” tag and figure this out for itself, but it doesn’t. So to all of the Bloglines users, you can ignore all of the “new” posts from DLTJ except for this one — the content has not changed in those earlier posts.