The PERL Way to Add OmniFocus Inbox Entries from Twitter

Over the weekend I got the bright idea of asking OmniGroup to ask an iPhone voice recognition application (like Dragon Dictation) to add a link to the OmniFocus iPhone application. That way I could simply dictate new inbox items on the iPhone rather than laboriously typing them with the on-screen keyboard. Before making the suggestion, I searched the OmniFocus User Forum for “voice recognition” to see if anyone else had suggested the same thing. As it turns out, there were a few posts that had instructions from people using Twitter as an intermediary. Unfortunately, they either required a desktop Twitter client to be running all of the time or used the now deprecated BasicAuth-based Twitter authentication scheme. So I created my own.

Update to ‘Embedded Web Video in a Standards-Compliant, Accessible, and Successful Way’

With the release of Microsoft’s Windows Media Player version 11, the Microsoft Media Server (MMS) protocol is officially no longer supported. (Except, of course, for the confusing/amusing footnote on that page that says ‘mms://’ URIs are “highly recommended” as a protocol rollover URL — only Microsoft can at the same time make something deprecated and highly recommended.) As Ryan Eby noted earlier this year, those generating ASX files for Windows Media Player need to adjust their scripts.

Script for Testing HTTP Referer Headers

I’ve just had the third occasion where in support of a user I suspect that user has a piece of software which is blocking or modifying the HTTP “referrer” header that comes normally with most interactions between a web browser and a web server. Rather than asking that user to run a complicated test I found elsewhere on the web, I whipped up a little ditty that tests for this with (hopefully) non-technical words and advice. At the bottom of this post is the source code for the script; feel free to take it and modify it for your own circumstances.